Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Asexuals on Valentines Day

I know I normally post about books, but today I felt like mixing it up in the spirit of Valentines Day. Valentines Day is a day to celebrate that special someone that you love, like, or simply feel attracted to, but for some people, finding this special someone is particularly difficult, so Valentines Day may seem like an unpleasant reminder. Some people might find these obstacles in who they find themselves hanging around with, and others may find it in the form of social barriers, but for a very, very small group, finding someone special is especially difficult because of their orientation. I'm not saying Heterosexuals, Homosexuals, Bisexuals, and Pansexuals don't have troubles, but I'm shedding light on a group of people who needs more representation, because, honestly, who has heard of Asexuality? I am an Ace of Hearts (asexual whom is not aromatic). Less than 1% of the US identifies as asexual, and I feel like spreading the wealth of information I have on the topic because there seems to be an endless amount of stereotypes.
Asexual means we do not feel sexually attracted to either gender. This means the following:

1. We are capable of love. We just don't want sex.

2. We want loving relationships. In fact, sense we only focus on the romantic aspects of relationships, we usually don't have to worry about some of the typical problems in relationships (if both people are asexual)

3. We aren't broken. It's not a phase. We are not repressing anything. I don't want, nor will I ever, want the "D".  Deal with it.

4. Bestiality is a no-no. Seriously? This is one of the weirder ones I've heard. No sex means no sex.

5. It's not about finding the one, or having to have done it to know if we like it. Does a Heterosexual person have to have sex with a Homosexual person to tell they are Heterosexual, and vice-versa?

6. This is not celibacy. We're not abstaining from sex, we simply don't want . It's not that we consider sex as something damaging either .  We just don't want sex the way heterosexuals don't want sex with someone of the same gender.


There are also Gray-asexuals and Aromantics, but i don't know a lot about those, but I can explain it. Gray-Asexuals only feel sexually attracted to someone they have a really strong connection to, and Aromantics don't feel romantically attracted to either gender. The reason being asexual is so hard is because finding a partner who is Asexual is extremely hard, and finding someone okay with not having sex even though they aren't Asexual is even harder. There could be compromise, but for the asexual, it won't be "good for them too". You can go to www.ASEXUALITY.org for more info on Asexuality if you feel curious. I might do another post about asexuality in more depth, but it just depends on the reception of this post, I suppose.

photo by: asexuality.org
photo by: change.org

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would kindly ask you to revise your comment, please. I would like to redirect you to some sites with more information about this topic because it would seem I did not explain this adequately enough. Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. This is some really good incite on what might be thought of as a controversial topic. Check out my latest post at: http://fatcatminikitty.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-importance-of-lap-cats.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I think it's great you're posting about this. It really gives a new perspective on Valentine's day, and a lot more than that too. And you're right a lot of people really don't know about it. Thank you for being so open about this and talking about it.
    -R
    Hey. .... while you're lookin' at my comment. .... check out our blog!!
    Adayinalifeofabandgeek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete